Thursday, September 30, 2010

~The Fire~

I'm not going to lie...I find it slightly amusing that my next post is about this, when the last post was about how beautiful the city I live in is. But, it was a pretty big event here and it changed a lot on how I think about things, and what's really important in life. So the sunday before last, Randy and I went to dinner at my parents house. Everything was pretty normal, but we found that it was pretty smoky in the area. Not really thinking too much of it, we left to eat some food. Down by my parents house, the smoke was like 10 times worse then it was by our house, but we didn't really think too much of it, until of course, we began our drive home. We hit about 11400 south and at that point, we saw a lot of smoke, and some orange shading just at the mountain top. By the time we hit 12600 South the flames were visible. At this point, we realized that this fire was way worse then we thought it was. When we got home, we couldn't see the flames anymore, but there was still a definite orange glow just above the mountain top. Randy and I decided to walk around the neighborhood and see if we could see the fire any better. Around 8pm, the flames came above the mountain top and began to jump down the mountain. It moved pretty quick. Around 9pm the fire department evacuated the neighborhood just to the south of us, about 3 streets, and a lot of the people in our ward. At this point, Randy and I thought it was inevitable. We were going to be evacuated, we just didn't know how long it would take. We came home and began to pack some stuff. Obviously we took all our pictures and tried to get everything that couldn't be replaced. I have to tell you...trying to pack up your entire life in 1 car is not the easiest thing I've ever done. Randy kept telling me that I should take what I could and that everything else was being condemed to burn. Like that made it any easier. After we were done packing, we went around the neighborhood and asked everyone that we saw if they needed help getting out. Most were already packed, or weren't planning on taking anything so that made things easy. Around 11pm, the flames had reached just above the bottom of the hill (just a few blocks from us) and we decided that it was better for us to leave rather then get woken up at 3am with a mandatory evac. I have to tell you...leaving our house was like the hardest thing ever. I had no idea whether or not I was going to be able to ever go home again. With the flames as close as they were when we left, anything was possible. We got to my parents house for a very rough night of sleep...it's pretty hard to sleep when every time you close your eyes you see your house burning to the ground. I woke up around 4am, after not getting to bed until about 1am...and couldn't get back to sleep. Then Randy's family started calling around 5am, so that made things even harder to sleep. Now obviously our house didn't burn down, but we both mentally prepared ourselves for that reality. In the end, we really had everything that we needed. We had our memories, and each other. If we would've had to start over from scratch, it wouldn't have been the worse thing in the world. I am very grateful that we didn't have to go down that road, and even more grateful that I have a husband who can always remind me that as long as we have eachother, we're at home, no matter where we are. Ok...since you are all waiting...here's some pictures. We stopped taking them after about 8:00 so when it got really close, we didn't get any pictures of that.

From our bedroom window


Down the street, just as the flames came over top of the mountain side


The Flames...

3 comments:

Jess n' Blake said...

So glad that you and your home were okay! It's almost surreal to think that something like that could happen.

Natalie said...

That's so scary! You're the only person I know in Herriman, so I immediately thought about you when I heard about it. Glad everything turned out okay!

Manda Jane Clawson said...

Holy cow!! That is sooo scary! Seriously my worst nightmare.... I'm glad you guys are okay and everything is alright at home